Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the most common liver neoplasm in dogs and can be treated by the Viscum album therapy in a curative or palliative way. The objective is to report a hepatocellular carcinoma case in a dog treated by homeopathic therapy, extending to Palliative Care, with a 24-month survival. A 12-year-old Schnauzer male with a history of a liver nodule was treated by intravenous and subcutaneous applications of V. album in different dynamization and combinations, chromotherapy, and oral homeopathic medicines. The tumor growth was controlled, and the health condition of the patient was stable while the medication was given as prescribed. However, as application frequency was reduced, tumor growth increased, and health deterioration was verified. Nevertheless and contrary to expectations, the patient had a 24-month survival. Therefore, these findings point to the potential of V. album on enhancing the quality of life, controlling tumor growth, and prolonging survival on patients with HCC. Patients under continuous treatment would benefit better of these properties.
Cite this article:
Ana Catarina Viana Valle, Aloísio Cunha de Carvalho. Long-Term Survival of a Patient with Hepatocellular Carcinoma under Treatment with Viscum album – Case Report. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(4):237-3. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00037
Ana Catarina Viana Valle, Aloísio Cunha de Carvalho. Long-Term Survival of a Patient with Hepatocellular Carcinoma under Treatment with Viscum album – Case Report. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(4):237-3. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00037 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-4-1
1. Chen, C.F., Chiu, S.W., Pan, L.K., and Chuang, C.H. (2021). Canine Hepatic Carcinoma: Diagnoses and Treatments Via Global State-of-the-Art Approach and Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. In C. Rutland. (Ed.) Canine Genetics, Health and Medicine. IntechOpen. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.96077.
2. Chevallier, P., Baudin, G., Anty, R., Guibal, A., Chassang, M., Avril, L., and Tran, A. (2015). Treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas by thermal ablation and hepatic transarterial chemoembolization. Diagnostic and interventional imaging, 96(6), 637–646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diii.2015.04.006
3. Liptak, J. M., Dernell, W. S., Monnet, E., Powers, B. E., Bachand, A. M., Kenney, J. G., and Withrow, S. J. (2004). Massive hepatocellular carcinoma in dogs: 48 cases (1992-2002). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 225(8), 1225–1230. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2004.225.1225
4. Orange, M., Poidimani, N., Crosignani, A., Werthmann, P. G., and Bertotto, C. (2021). Complete, Durable Remission of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma Under Treatment with Viscum Album Extracts – A Case Report. SSRN Electronic Journal. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3775671 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3775671
5. Patnaik, A. K., Hurvitz, A. I., and Lieberman, P. H. (1980). Canine hepatic neoplasms: a clinicopathologic study. Veterinary pathology, 17(5), 553–564. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098588001700504
6. Patnaik, A. K., Hurvitz, A. I., Lieberman, P. H., and Johnson, G. F. (1981). Canine hepatocellular carcinoma. Veterinary pathology, 18(4), 427–438. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098588101800402
7. Valle, A., Lima, L.R., Bonamin, L.V., Brunel, H.D., Barros, A., Carvalho, A.C., and Andrade, R.V. (2020). Use of Viscum album in the Integrative Treatment of Cholangiocarcinoma in a Dog (Canis familiaris)- Case Report. Advances in Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 5(4), 476-481.
8. Valle, A.C.V., and Carvalho, A.C. (2021a). Ultra-diluted Viscum album in the treatment of cutaneous melanoma in a dog (Canis familiaris) - Case report. Paripex Indian Journal Research, 10:1-4. https://doi.org/10.36106/paripex/2308743
9. Valle, A.C.V., and Carvalho, A.C. (2021b). Homeopathic Viscum Album on the Treatment of Scamous Cell Carcinoma Lesion in a Dog (Canis familiaris) - Case Report. Integrative Journal of Veterinary Biosciences, 5:1-3.
10. Valle, A.C.V., Carvalho, A.C., and Andrade, R.V. (2021). Viscum Album - Literature Review. International Journal of Science and Research, 10:63-71.
11. Withrow, S.J., Page, R., and Vail, D. (2013). Withrow and MacEwen’s Small Animal Clinical Oncology. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/C2009-0-53135-2