A new Sulfamethoxazole Schiff base (E)-4-(4-methoxybenzylideneamino)-N-(5-methylis-oxazol-3-yl) benzenesulfonamide (C18H17N3O4S), and its copper complex were synthesized and the structures elucidated on the basis of Physiochemical methods. The studies indicate an octahedral structure for the complexes with the (C22H27N3O10SCu) formula. The IR spectra suggest that the ligand act as tridentate (from oxygen and two nitrogen atoms) donor. Also, the biological activity of the Schiff base and its Cu complex were studied.
Cite this article:
Rajeev Kumar, Sivadhar Sharma. Synthesis, Spectroscopic, Thermal studies and Biological activity of a new Schiff base and its Copper Complexes. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):251-256. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00033.9
Rajeev Kumar, Sivadhar Sharma. Synthesis, Spectroscopic, Thermal studies and Biological activity of a new Schiff base and its Copper Complexes. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):251-256. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00033.9 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-12-4-3
1. G. Kumari, D. Kumari, C. Singh, A. Kumari and V. B. R, Synthesis, physical characterization and antimicrobial activity of trivalent metal Schiff base complexes, J. Serb. Chem. Soc. 2010; 75 (5); 629–637.
2. Singh, K.; Barwa, M.S.; Tyagi, P. Synthesis and characterization of cobalt(II), nickel(II), copper(II) and zinc(II) complexes with Schiff base derived from 4-amino-3-mercapto-6-methyl-5- oxo-1, 2, 4-triazine, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2007; 42; 394-402.
3. M. Alhassan, Z. Chohan, A. Scozzafava and C. Supuran, Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitors: Schiff's Bases of Aromatic and Heterocyclic Sulfonamides and their Metal Complexes, Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, 2004; 19(3); 263-267.
4. Cheng, L.; Tang, J.; Luo, H.; Jin, X.; Dai, F.; Yang, J.; Qian, Y.; Li, X.; Zhou, B. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of hydroxyl-substituted Schiff bases. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2010, 20, 2417-2420.
5. Cozzi, P.G. Metal–Salen Schiff base complexes in catalysis: Practical aspects. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2004; 33; 410-421.
6. M. L. Ferreira, T. A. Vasconcelos, E. Carvalho, M. Lourenço, S. V. Wardell, J. Wardell, V. Ferreira, M. Souza, Synthesis and antitubercular activity of novel Schiff bases derived from D-mannitol, Carbohydrate Research. 2009; 344; 2042–2047.
7. N. Ramana, L. Mitub, A. Sakthivela and M.S.S. Pandi, Studies on DNA Cleavage and Antimicrobial Screening of Transition Metal Complexes of 4-Aminoantipyrine Derivatives of N2O2 Type. J. Iran. Chem. Soc., 2009; 6 (4); 738-748.
8. Ahmed A. Soliman, Spectral and thermal study of the ternary complexes of nickel with sulfasalazine and some amino acids, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 2006; 65(5); 1180-1185.
9. Z. H. Chohan, A. U. Shaikh, A. Rauf and C. T. Supuran, Antibacterial, antifungal and coytotoxic properties of novel N-substituted sulfonamides from 4-hydroxycoumarin, Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, 2006; 21(6); 741-748.
10. B. Naik and K. Desai, Novel approach for the rapid and efficient synthesis of heterocyclic Schiff bases and azetidinones under microwave irradiation, Indian journal of chemistry, 2006; 45B; 267-271.
11. R. M. Issa, A. M. Khedr and H. Rizk, 1H-NMR, IR and UV/VIS Spectroscopic Studies of Some Schiff Bases Derived From 2-Aminobenzothiazole and 2-Amino-3-hydroxypyr, Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 2008; 55; 875-884.
12. R. C. Maurya, J. Chourasia and P. Sha rma, Synthesis, characterization and 3D molecular modeling of some ternary complexes of Cu(II), Ni(II), Co(II), Zn(II), Sm(III), Th(IV) and UO2(VI) with Schiff base derived from sulfa drug sulfabenzamide and 1,10-phenanthroline, Indian j. of chemistry, 2007, 46A, 1594-1604.
13. G. Karthikeyan, K. Mohanraj, K. P. Elango and K. Girishkumar Synthesis and Spectral Characterization of Lanthanide Complexes with Sulfamethoxazole and Their Antibacterial Activity, Russian Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2006; 32(5) 380–385.
14. M. J. Jazi, A. R. Firooz, A. Smnani, H. R. Pouretedal and M. H. Keshavarz, Thermodynamic study of charge transfer complex of iodine with HT18C6 in chloroform solution, Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethiop. 2008; 22(2); 287-294.
15. Y. K. Al-Majedy, A. A. H. Al-Amiery, H. H. Almoussaoy and R. Khweter, Novel Analytical Method for the Determination of Theophylline in Pharmaceutical Preparations, Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 2011, 7(4): 470-475.
16. Mamdouh S. Masouda,∗, Amany A. Ibrahim b, Ekram A. Khalil a, Adel El-Marghany, Spectral properties of some metal complexes derived from uracil–thiouracil and citrazinic acid compounds, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, 2007; 67 662–668.
17. S. Kumar, M. S. Niranjan, K. C. Chaluvaraju, C. M. Jamakhandi and D. Kadadevar, Synthesis and Antimicrobial Study of Some Schiff Bases of Sulfonamides, Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 2010; 01: 39-42.
18. P. K. Panchal, D. H. Patel and M. N. Patel, Preparation and Thermal, Spectroscopic, and Antibacterial Studies of Some Mixed‐Ligand Complexes, synthesis and reactivity in inorganic and metalorganic chemistry, 2004; 34(7); 1223–1235.
19. A. A. Soliman, S. M. El-Medani and O. A. M. Ali, journal of thermal analysis and calorimetry, thermal study of chromium and molybdenum complexes with some nitrogen and nitrogen–oxygen donors’ ligands 2006; 83, 2, 385-392
20. M. Asadi, M. Setoodeh Khah and A.H. Kianfar, Thermodynamics of Cobalt (III) Schiff Base Complexes in Various Solvents, J. Iran. Chem. Soc. 2010, 7(1), 38-44.