Pawan S. Avhad, Revati Gupta, Swati S. Rawat, Raghvendra S. Dubey
Pawan S. Avhad1*, Revati Gupta1, Swati S. Rawat2, Raghvendra S. Dubey2
1Faculty of Pharmacy, Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam University, Indore, Dewas Bypass, Arandia, Indore -452016 (M.P.)
2Matoshri Institute of Pharmacy, Dhanore, Yeola, Nashik, 423401.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Most popular and useful route of administration is oral one, among that mucoadhesive system is also preferable. This system is interact with mucus layer containing epithelial cell and mucin molecules which improves the contact time of dosage form, leading to improvement in both local and systemic effects. There are various routes of mucoadhesive drug delivery system, oral route is the most oldest and preferred by patient being convenient to use. However peroral route has some disadvantages such as hepatic first pass metabolism and enzymatic degradation in GIT which is a hindrance to the absorption of most proteins and peptides groups of drugs. The mucosa of the oral cavity contains an intimidating barrier to drug penetration, and one method of optimizing drug delivery is by the use of adhesive dosage forms and the mucosa is connected with various blood supplies by which it is permeable. This route has quick action, and good patient compliance with pediatric and old age patients. The buccal cavity is very easier for a bioadhesion system because of a smooth and relatively immobile surface and accessibility. Mucoadhesion can be achieved by using various mucoadhesive polymers. There are various types of mucoadhesive polymers which improves bioadhesion. Also various theories are referred to clear the concept of mucoadhesion, such as diffusion, facture, electronic and adsorption theories. This article contains definition, mechanism, advantage, and disadvantage. In this article we are going to overlook basic knowledge about mucoadhesion and its formulations.
Cite this article:
Pawan S. Avhad, Revati Gupta, Swati S. Rawat, Raghvendra S. Dubey. A Glance on Mucoadhesive System - Still more to Understand. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):133-1. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00020
Pawan S. Avhad, Revati Gupta, Swati S. Rawat, Raghvendra S. Dubey. A Glance on Mucoadhesive System - Still more to Understand. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):133-1. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00020 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-11
1. Tandel HT, Parmar HK, Pandya KK, Pardasani LJ, Panchal VS, A Systematic Review on Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017; 6:337-46.
2. Kaur A, Mahajan P, Aggrawal G, Harikumar SL, Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System: A Review. International Journal of Drug Development and Research 2013; 5:11-20.
3. Singh R, Sharma D, Garg R, Review on Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System with Special Emphasis on Buccal Route: An Important Tool in Designing of Novel Controlled Drug Delivery System for The Effective Delivery of Pharmaceuticals. Journal of Developing Drugs 2017; 6:1-12.
4. Khan S, Varma M, Agrawal G, Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System: A Review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016; 5:392-405.
5. Phanindra B, Krishna B Moorthy, Muthukumaran M, Recent Advances in Mucoadhesive / Bioadhesive Drug Delivery System: A Review. International Journal of Pharma Medicine and Biological Sciences 2013; 2:79-84.
6. Anjana A, Sudheer P, Mucoadhesive Polymers: A Review. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research2018; 17:47-55.
7. Shukla AK, Garg A, Garg S, Kumar M, Kumar S, Parakh S, Kaushik C, Application of Natural Polymers in Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery: An Overview. Advance Pharmaceutical Journal 2018; 3:38-42.
8. Mythri G, Kavitha K, Rupesh Kumar M, Sd. Jagadeesh Singh, Novel Mucoadhesive Polymers: A Review. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2011;1:37-42.
9. Carvalho FC, Bruschi ML, Evangilista RC, Daflon Gremiao NP, Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2010; 46:1-17.
10. Nikalje AP, Tiwari S, Kambale S, Mucoadhesive: As Oral Controlled Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Science 2012; 2:32-59.
11. Saini HK, Nautiyal U, Pioneering and Encouraging Approach- Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Research 2017; 5:455-63.
12. Balasubramanian A, Gnanasekaran JS, Kothai R, Development of Mucoadhesive Tablet of Pentoxifylline Using A Natural Polymer From Manilkara Zapota Linn. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics 2019; 11:144-54.
13. Enas Al-Ani, Martin C, Britland ST, Doudin K, Hill DJ, The Effect of the Source and the Concentration of Polymers on the Release of Chlorhexidine from Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal 2019; 27:756-66.
14. Alopaeus JF, Hellfritzsch M, Gutowski T, Scherlie R, Almeida A, Sarmento B, Shalko-Basnet N, Tho I, Mucoadhesive Buccal Films Based on a Graft Co-Polymer-A mucin retentive hydrogel scaffold. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2019; 142:105-42.
15. Raghava Srivalli KM, Lakshmi PK, Balasubramaniam J, Design of Novel Bilayred Gastric Mucoadhesive system for localized and unidirectional release of Lamotrigine. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal 2013; 21:45-52.
16. Darandale SS, Vavia PR, Design of Gastro retentive Mucoadhesive Dosage form of Furosemide for controlled release. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B.2012; 2:209-517.
17. Buddhadev S, Odedara B, Mahajan T, Buddhadev S, Formulation and Development of Mucoadhesive Tablets of Valsartan. Inventi Rapid: Novel Excipients2016; 2016:1-14.
18. Chaudhari AL, Jagtap LS, Mahajan AG, Swami SP, Mali PR, Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Tablet of Salbutamol Sulphate. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2011; 2:238-42.
19. Singh I, Arora S, Rana V, Arora G, Malik K, Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Release Matrix Mucoadhesive Tablets of Domperidone using Salvia Plebeian Gum. Journal of Advance Pharmaceutical Technology and Research 2011; 2:163-69.
20. Gudas GK, Bhikshapathi DVRN, Formulation and Development of Mucoadhesive Tablet of Captopril. International Journal of Pharmacy and Analytical Research 2015; 4:144-54.
21. Roy AK, Vinod Kumar SM, Sayed JB, Haque R, Karki R, Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Valsartan. International Journal of Drug Delivery and Research 2013; 5: 145-55.
22. Reddy BV, Ramana Reddy KV, Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Mucoadhesive Tablets of Glipizide. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science 2015; 4: 1804-21.
23. Reddy BV, Sekar M, Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablets of Metoprolol Tartrate. Asian Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Science 2015; 3:255-65.
24. Fathima N, Das P, Kuchana V, Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablet of Carvedilol Using natural Bindes. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Chemistry 2015; 5:699-707.
25. Saraf SA, Saxena A, Tewari G, Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Patch of Acyclovir Utilizing Inclusion Phenomenon. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2011; 47:887-95.
26. Kulkarni SV, Patil P, Someshwara Rao B, Ammanage A, Surpur C, Basavraj, Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablets of Ofloxacin Using Natural Gums. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 2011; 3:93-98.
27. Chandira M, Bhowmik D, Jaykar B, Formulation and Evaluation Mucoadhesive Oral Tablet of Clarithromycin. The Pharma Research 2009; 2:30-42.
28. Aswathy VS, Sanker GS, Kuriachan MA, Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Tablet of Antianginal Drug. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research 2018;13:43-71.
29. Krupashree KG, Parthiban S, Vikneshwari A, Senthilkumar GP, Tamizmani T, Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablet of Gliclazide. Asian Journal of Research In Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 3:1-13.
30. Rao M.RP, Sadaphule P, Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Ketorolac Tromithamine. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Research 2014; 48:69-74.
31. Raparla R, Chowdary A, Thatipamula YS, Pragna S, Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Candesartan. American Journal of Advance Drug Delivery 2013; 1: 369-86.
32. Misra R, Bhardwaj P, Development and Characteriztion of Novel- Floating Mucoadhesive Tablets Bearing Velnafexine Hydrochloride. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research2016; 16:1-13.
33. Gavaskar B, Venkatewarlu E, Kumaraswamay D, Dooda D, Nagaraju M, Formulation and Evaluation Mucoadhesive Tablets of Baclofen. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2010; 2:396-409.
34. Mohamad SA, Abdelkeder H, Elrehany M, Mansour HF, Vitamin B12 Buccoadhesive Tablets: Auspicious non-invasive substitute for intra muscular injection: formulation, in vitro and in vivo appraisal. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 2019; 45: 244-51.
35. Naaz S, Reddy V, Panda N, Formulation and In–Vitro Evaluation of Humectant Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2019; 9: 390-99.