Indian indigo (Indigofera tinctoria) is a dye yielding plant with medicinal properties. The seeds of the plant are very small and possess a hard seed coat. Different kinds of scarification treatments i.e. thermal, mechanical and chemical were carried out to break the dormancy of the seeds. Best result was obtained when the seeds were subjected to chemical scarification. About 76% of the seeds germinated when they were given a pre-sown treatment of quick dip in 100% concentrated sulfuric acid.
Cite this article:
Kumari Chhaya. Effect of different scarifications on Indigo plant (Indigofera tinctoria L.). Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):311-313. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00045.5
1. Aobchey P, Sinchaikul S, Phutrakul S and Chen ST (2007): Simple purification of indirubin from Indigofera tinctoria (L). and inhibitory effect on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Chiang Mai Journal of Science 34(3): 329-337
2. Garrity DP, Bantilan RT, Bantilan CC, Tin P and Mann R (1994): Indigofera tinctoria: Farmer-proven green manure for rainfed ricelands. In Greenmanure production systems for Asian rice lands: selected papers from the International Rice Research Conference. Los Baños (Philippines): International Rice Research Institute. p (pp. 67-81).
3. Gulrajani ML and Gupta D (1992): Natural dyes and their application to textiles, Department of Textile Technology, Indian Institute of Technology.
4. Jones CD, Stevens MR, Jolley VD, Hopkins BG, Jensen SL, Turner D and Stettler JM (2016): Evaluation of thermal, chemical, and mechanical seed scarification methods for 4 Great Basin lupine species. Native Plants Journal 17(1): 5-18.
5. Narender T, Khaliq T and Puri A (2006): Antidyslipidemic activity of furanoflavonoids isolated from Indigofera tinctoria. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 16(13): 3411-3414.
6. Singh B, Saxena AK, Chandan BK, Bhardwaj V, Gupta VN, Suri OP and Handa SS (2001): Hepatoprotective activity of indigtone—a bioactive fraction from Indigofera tinctoria Linn. Phytotherapy Research, 15: 294-297.