Manoj Kumar Ghosh, Harsha Tiwari
Dr. Manoj Kumar Ghosh1*, Harsha Tiwari2
1Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Kalinga University, Raipur (C.G.) – India.
2Research Scholar, Department of Chemistry, Kalinga University, Raipur (C.G.) – India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The present study focused on the groundwater contamination due to fly ash disposal of coal-fired thermal power plant into a non-liner ash pond. Tendubhata were selected as study site around ash pond of Marwa thermal power plant. Groundwater samples were collected on random basis using composite sampling method. Ten heavy metals (Ca, Cu, Cd, Cl, Zn, Pb, Ni, Cr, Mn, and Fe) were detected in coal, fly ash, and groundwater samples. Heavy metal concentration in coal and fly ash was assessed by Energy Dispersive X-ray Fluorescence, while AAS was used for groundwater assessment. The observed results revealed the exceeding value of heavy metals prescribed by WHO for groundwater.
Cite this article:
Manoj Kumar Ghosh, Harsha Tiwari. Heavy Metal Concentration in underground water due to Fly Ash at Janjgir Champa region in Chhattisgarh. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):79-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00012
Manoj Kumar Ghosh, Harsha Tiwari. Heavy Metal Concentration in underground water due to Fly Ash at Janjgir Champa region in Chhattisgarh. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):79-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00012 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-3
1. American Public Health Association. (2005). Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater (21st ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
2. S.K Bais, A.V. Chandewar, D.W. Wargantiwar, S.M. Charjan. Comparative Evaluation of Heavy Metals in Marketed Haematinic Herbal Formulations by Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 4(1): Jan.-Mar. 2014; Page 11-16.
3. Manoj Kumar Tiwari, Samir Bajpai, U. K. Dewangan. A Review on fly ash generation, its composition and Environmental Impact for Durg - Bhilai Twin City industrial Region. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 3(4): Oct-Dec. 2012 page 249-258.
4. Mohammad Rehan, Dhirendra Kumar Bharati, Sushmita Banerjee, Ravindra Kumar Gautam, Mahesh Chandra Chattopadhyaya. Physicochemical and Heavy Metal Analysis of Pond Water Quality of Mau-Aima Vicinity, Allahabad (India). Asian J. Research Chem. 2017; 10(1):29-32.
5. Moumita Sinha, Jayanta Datta, Naba Kumar Mondal. Agricultural Soil Contaminated by Heavy Metals Exposed by the Byproducts of Durgapur Thermal Power Station, Durgapur, W.B. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(6): June, 2012; Page 742-747
6. Partha Ghosh, Mitul De Mazumder, Sourin Guha Thakurta. Comparative Study on Durability of Fly Ash Based Geopolymer Mortars in Sulphuric Acid and Nitric Acid. Int. J. Tech. 5(2): July-Dec., 2015; Page 164-168
7. Prerana H. Salodkar, Nikhil A. Maske, Dipali H. Chaudhari. Effect of Nylon Fiber, Fly Ash and Lime utilization for different Soil stabilization conditions: A Case Study. Research J. Science and Tech. 7(4): Oct. – Dec. 2015; Page 223-229.
8. Sumit Mishra, Gurdeep Singh. A Study on Particle S. K. Pagariya, R.F.Pagariya, A. S. Pagariya. Assessment of Fluoride Content in the Ground Water of Different Villages of Mangladevi Region. Asian J. Research Chem. 6(8): August 2013; Page 761-764.
9. Size Distribution Profile of Coal Combustion Residues from Thermal Power Plants of India. Asian J. Research Chem. 3(2): April- June 2010; Page 386-388.
10. Tiwari, M. K., Bajpai, S., Dewangan, U. K., and Tamrakar, R. K. (2015). Assessment of heavy metal concentrations in surface water sources in an industrial region of central India. Karbala International Journal of Modern Science, 1, 9–14.10.1016/j.kijoms.2015.08.001
11. Todd, D.K. (1959) Groundwater hydrology. John Wily & Sons, Inc., New York.
12. Urmila Barwar, D.D. Gudesaria, R.P. Mathur. Assessment of Ground Water Quality in some villages of Lachhmangarh Tehsil -Western part, Sikar District, Rajasthan, India. Research J. Science and Tech. 2018; 10(1): 58-67.
13. S.R Verma, P.R Chaudhari, R.K. Singh, S.R. Wate. Impacts due to Tailings Ponds on Water Quality and Biological Environment: A Case Study. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(2): February 2012; Page 239-244.
14. Yuan, C. G. (2009). Leaching characteristics of metals in fly ash from coal-fired power plant by sequential extraction procedure. Microchimica Acta, 165, 91–96.10.1007/s00604-008-0103-5
15. Zandi, M., & Russell, N. V. (2007). Design of a leaching test framework for coal fly ash accounting for environmental conditions. Environmental Monitoring Assessment, 131, 509–526.10.1007/s10661-006-9496-y