G. V. R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, T. P. Sreejani, B. Kalyanaramu
G. V. R. Srinivasa Rao1, G. Rupa Kumari2*, T. P. Sreejani2, B. Kalyanaramu3
1Faculty, Department of Civil Engineering, AU College of Engineering (A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-530003, Andhra Pradesh (India).
2Research Scholars, Department of Civil Engineering, AU College of Engineering (A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-530003, Andhra Pradesh (India).
3Faculty, Department of Chemistry, M.R. College (A), Vizianagaram-535002, Andhra Pradesh (India).
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The present work aims at investigating the groundwater chemistry in Lakavarapu Kota region of Vizianagaram district by analyzing the groundwater samples collected from several sampling locations spread across the study area uniformly. 360 groundwater samples, 120 samples each in Post-monsoon (November 2018-February 2019), Pre-monsoon (March 2019-June 2019) and Monsoon (July2019-October 2019) are collected from bore holes of 30 selected locations in the study area at regular monthly intervals and analyzed for various quality indicating parameters such as pH, EC, TDS, TH, TA, Ca2+, Mg2+, Na+, CO32-, HCO3-, Cl-, SO42-, NO3-, F- using standard laboratory procedures. Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment Water Quality Index (CCME-WQI) method was used to assess the overall quality of groundwater in the study area. It is observed that quality of about 16.67% of the water samples is Excellent, about 43.33% is good, about 20% is fair, about 16.67% is Marginal and remaining 3.33% is poor for drinking purpose in the study area.
Cite this article:
G. V. R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, T. P. Sreejani, B. Kalyanaramu. WQI based Analysis of Groundwater Quality in Lakkavarapu Kota region, Vizianagaram District, Andhra Pradesh. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):235-241. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00031.5
G. V. R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, T. P. Sreejani, B. Kalyanaramu. WQI based Analysis of Groundwater Quality in Lakkavarapu Kota region, Vizianagaram District, Andhra Pradesh. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):235-241. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00031.5 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-12-4-1
1. Sudhakar Gummadi, Swarnalatha G, V. Venkataratnamma, Z. Vishnuvardhan . Deterrmination of Water Quality Index for Groundwater of Bapatla Mandal, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 3 (3); 2014: 77-80.
2. G. Srinivasa Rao, G. Nageswararao. Assessment of Groundwater quality using Water Quality Index. Arch. Environ. Sci., 7; 2013: 1-5.
3. M.K. Singh, Bishu Karmakar. Assessment of Groundwater Quality of Budhjungnagar Industrial Estate and A D Nagar, Dukli and Badharghat Industrial Cluster of Tripura West District, Tripura State, India by Water quality Index Method. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology. 3(8); 2017: 1002-1010.
4. M. Vasanthavigar, K. Srinivasamoorthy, K. Vijayaragavan, R. Rajiv Ganthi, S. Chidambaram, P. Anandan, R. Manivannan, S. Vasuevan. Application of Water quality Index for groundwater quality assessment: Thirumanimuttar sub-basin, Tamilnadu, India, Environ Monit. Assess 171; 2010: 595-609.
5. C. R. Ramakrishnaiah, C. Sadashivaiah and G. Ranganna. Assessment of Water Quality Index for the Groundwater in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State, India. E. Journal of Chemistry. 6 (2); 2009: 523-530.
6. Olayiwola Oni and Olubunmi Fasakin. The Use of Water Quality Index Method to Determine the Potability of Surface Water and Groundwater in the Vicinity of a Municipal Solid Waste Dump site in Nigeria. American Journal of Engineering Research. 5 (10); 2016: 96-101.
7. P. J. Puri, M.K.N. Yenkie, D.B. Rana and S.U. Meshram. Application of water quality index (WQI) for the assessment of surface water quality (Ambazari Lake). European Journal of Experimental Biology, 5 (2); 2015: 37-52
8. Douglas Kwasi Boah, Stephen Boakye Twum, Kenneth B. Pelig-Ba. Mathematical Computation of Water Quality Index of Vea Dam in Upper East Region of Ghana. Environmental Sciences. 3(1); 2015: 11-16.
9. G.V.S.R Pavan Kumar, G.Bhuvan Kumar, B.Sreerama Murty. Salt water intrusion- A case study in Chintapalli, one of the coastal villages of Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh. Environmental Science An Indian Journal 6(4); 2011: 219-224.
10. G V S R Pavan Kumar, V Santhosh Kumar, P Y Venkata Rao, K. Srinivasa Rao and B. Sreerama Murty. Assessment of groundwater quality in Mukkam, Chepalakancheru and Dallipeta: Coastal villages of Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 3(2); 2012: 31-38
11. G.V.S.R Pavan Kumar, T. Chandrasekhar and B. Sreerama Murty. Assessment of groundwater quality status based on water quality index method in two coastal villages, Konada and Chintapalli of Vizianagaram district in Andhra Pradesh, India J. Indian Chem. Soc., 94; 2017: 1-9.
12. G.V.S.R. Pavan Kumar, T.V.N. Partha Sarathi and K.Srinivasa Rao. Assessment of water quality using WQI and prediction of WQI using ANN in some selected coastal villages of vizianagaram district, Andhra Pradesh. J. Indian Chem. Soc. 94; 2017: 1-8.
13. P. Swarna Latha, K. Nagesswara Rao, P.V. Ramesh Kumar and M. Harikrishna. Water Quality Assessment at Village level - A case study Indian J. Environmental Protection 27 (11); 2007: 996-1000.
14. Sandhya Deepika D., Geetha S. and Laxmi Sowjanya K. Quality assessment of drinking water in Addatheega village of Gantyada Mandal, Vizianagaram district. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 6(7); 2017: 905-911
15. Sathish Mohan, B., Jagadish babu, M., Jhansi Rani, S. and Satyasree, G. Water quality assessment of groundwater samples in Bobilli Region, Andhra Pradesh, India, Asian Journal of Science and Technology. 8(8); 2017: 5223-5230.
16. N. Appala Raju, K.Harikrishna , P.Satyanarayana, P. Suneetha and S. Sachi Devi. Study on Spatial distribution of groundwater quality in Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh, India. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology. 3(1); 2014: 148-160.
17. A.V.L.N.S.H. Hariharan and B. Lakshmi. Determination of Fluoride in some areas of Vizianagaram dt. AP, International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences 1(2); 2011: 8-10.
18. B.S. Giriyappanavar and R.R. Patil, “Application of CCME WQI in Assessing Water Quality for Fort Lake of Belgaum, Karnataka”, Indian Journal of Applied Research, Vol.3(04), pp 32-33, 2013.
19. M.G.Y.L. Mahagamagea, Pathmalal M Managea. “Water Quality Index (CCME-WQI) Based Assessment Study of Water Quality in Kelani River Basin, Sri Lanka”, The 1st Environment and Natural Resources International Conference. Thailand, pp 199-204, November 2014.
20. S. Venkatramanan, S.Y.Chung, T. Ramkumar, R.Rajesh and G. Gnanachandrasamy, “Assessment of groundwater quality using GIS and CCME WQI techniques: a case study of Thiruthuraipoondi city in Cauvery deltaic region, Tamil Nadu, India”, Desalination and Water Treatment, Vol.57, pp 12058–12073, 2016.
21. V.M. Wagh, Shrikant Mukate , Dipak Panaskar , Uday Sahu Manesh Aamalawar and Aniket Muley Yoges. “Development of CCME WQI model for the groundwater appraisal for drinking in Basaltic terrain of Kadava River basin, Nashik, India”, INDIAN J. MAR. SCI., Vol.48 (12), pp 1933-1940, 2019.
22. V.M . Wagh, D.B.Panaskar, A.A. Muley and S.V. Mukate “Groundwater suitability evaluation by CCME WQI model for Kadava River Basin, Nashik, Maharashtra, India”, Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, Vol.3, 557-565, 2017.
23. APHA/AWWA/WEF. Standard methods for the Examination of water and waste water,. American Public Health Association/ American water works association, Water Environment Federation, Washington DC, USA, 20th edition. 1998: 235-237.
24. Horton, R.K. An index number system for rating water quality. J. Water Pollution Cont. Fed., 37(3); 1965: 300-305
25. Brown, R.M., McClelland, N.I., Deininger, R.A. and Tozer, R.G., “Water quality index-do we dare?”, Water Sewage Works. 117(10); 1970: 339-343.
26. Ashok Lumb, Doug Halliwell, and Tribeni Sharma. Application of CCME Water Quality Index to Monitor Water Quality: A Case Study of the Mackenzie River Basin, Canada. Environ. Monit. Assess. 113; 2006: 411-429.
27. Dinesh Kumar and Babu J Alappat. NSF- Water Quality Index: Does it represent the Experts’ Opinion? Practice . Periodical of Hazard, Toxic and Radioact Waste Management. 13(1); 2009: 75-79.
28. Dunnette, D.A., A geographically variable water quality index used in Oregon, J. Water Pollution Cont. Fed., 51(1); 1979: 53-61.
29. Bharti N, Katyal. D. Water quality indices used for surface water vulnerability assessment. International Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2(1); 2011: 154-164.
30. Shweta Tyagi, Bhavtosh Sharma, Prashant Singh, Rajendra Dobhal. Water Quality Assessment in Terms of Water Quality Index, American Journal of Water Resources. 1(3); 2013: 34-38.
31. Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. “Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life”: CCME Water Quality Index 1.0, Technical Report, Canadian Council of Ministers of the environment winnipeg, MB, Canada, 2001