Assay analytical test procedure at the Bulk-Solution stage for Esomeprazole Sodium Injection 40mgas a Critical Processing Parameters during manufacturing developed and validated. As per current available literature and the references, Esomeprazole active substance is available in market in the five forms, i.e. Esomeprazole as Plain [Tablet]; Esomeprazole Magnesium Trihydrate [Tablet, Capsule Delayed Release]; Esomeprazole Potassium [Tablet and Capsule]; Esomeprazole Strontium [Capsule Delayed Release] and Esomeprazole Sodium [Injectable].Assay test procedure for Active and other dosage forms [Tablet, Capsule] were available based on either Potentiometric Titration or HPLC basis. Product Esomeprazole Sodium Injection 40mg is not available in official pharmacopeia. As per available reference and literature assay test method for intermediate testing and finished product is based on HPLC. Intermediate testing [In-Process Testing] required as Critical Process Parameters [CPP] to ensure the quality i.e. appropriate bulk-solution purity, before to proceed for filtration and filling of Bulk-solution in unit dosage form [Vials]. To test the bulk solution purity approximate 5-6 hours required by HPLC. Which leads to hold the Bulk solution, further it impact and may risk to Bio-Burden of bulk solution. Also it impact and reduce the productivity of line by 5-6 hours. HPLC testing required special skilled manpower and cost. Considering all above concerns Study carried for test method development based on UV-Spectroscopy, HPLC and potentiometric titration. Based on method validation performed for UV-Spectrometry, HPLC and potentiometric titration; Test procedure developed and validated based on UV-Spectrometry is found Simple, Accurate, Precise, Economical and Rapid to save time and cost with increase in productivity as a Critical Processing Parameters for Esomeprazole Sodium Injection 40mgat the Bulk-Solution stage during manufacturing.
Cite this article:
Santoshkumar R. Mulik, Rishikesh S. Bachhav. Bulk Solution Assay Test Procedure Development and validation for Esomeprazole Sodium Injection 40mg as a CPP. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(3):177-2. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00028
Santoshkumar R. Mulik, Rishikesh S. Bachhav. Bulk Solution Assay Test Procedure Development and validation for Esomeprazole Sodium Injection 40mg as a CPP. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(3):177-2. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00028 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-3-4
1. ICH Topic Q2 (R1): Validate of Analytical procedures: CPMP/ICH/381/95: June 1995
2. WHO Good Practices for Pharmaceutical Quality Control Laboratories: Annx-1 WHO Technical Report Series No. 957, 2010.
3. European Pharmacopoeia 9.7; 04/2019: 0822. Page No. 6605 to 6608
4. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) Q2A: Test on validation of analytical procedures: definition and terminology, Federal Register, 1997
5. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) Q2B: Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology Vol. 62, US FDA Federal Register, 1997
6. Scott LJ, Dunn CJ, Mallarkey G, Sharpe M. Esomeprazole- a review of its use in the management of acid-related disorders. Drugs 2020 [ Cited 2015 Dec 29]; 62:153-38 Drugs. 2002; 62:1503–38. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
7. Hultman H, Hultman I, Stenhoff H, Liljeblad M. J. Determination of Esomeprazole and its two main metabolites in human, rat and dog plasma by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B. Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2007; 848(2):317-22. Jan 20101191-11942007; 848:317–22.
8. Johnson DA, Roach AC, Carlsson AS, Karlsson AA, Behr DE. Stability of Esomeprazole capsule contents after in vitro suspension in common soft foods and beverages. Pharmacotherapy. 2003; 23:731–4.[PubMed] [Google Scholar]
9. Li XQ, Anderson TB, Ahlstrom M, Weidolf L. Comparison of inhibitory effects of the proton pump-inhibiting drugs Omeprazole, Esomeprazole, Lansoprazole, Pantoprazole And Rabeprazole on human Cytochrome-P450 activities. Drug MetabDispos. 2004; 32:821–7. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
10. Pharmacokinetic Studies with Esomeprazole Andersson T, Hassan-Alin M, Hasselgren G, Rohss K, Weidolf L. Clin. Pharmacokinet. 2001; 40(6):411-26. Jan 2010665-671 [Cited 2015 Dec 29]; 40:411-26
11. Shetty R, Subramanian G, Kumar R A, Pandey S, Udupa N. Estimation of esomeprazole in human plasma by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Indian Drugs. 2005; 42:158–61. [Google Scholar]
12. Reynolds JC Prokinetic Agents: A key in the future of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1989 /Jun [Cited 2015 Oct 29]: 18 (2): 437-57
13. Onal A, Oztunc A. Development and validation of high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of esomeprazole in tablets. J Food Drug Anal. 2006; 14:12–8. [Google Scholar]
14. Prabu SL, Shirwaikar A, Shirwaikar A, Kumar CD, Joseph A, Kumar R. Simultaneous estimation of Esomeprazole and Domperidone by UV spectrophotometric method. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008; 70:128–31. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar] Jan 2007317-339
15. Lakshmana Prabu S, Shirwaikar A, Shirwaikar A, Dinesh Kumar C, Joseph A, Kumar R. Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 2008; 70 (1):128-31. Jan 2011130-134
16. N A Jain, R T Lohiya, M J Umekar, Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Res.2011; 2(5):130-4 Jan 201250-55
17. Basaveswara Rao MV, Nagendrakumar AVD, Sivanadh M, Venkata Rao G. Bull.Pharm. Res. 2012;2(2):50-5 , Jan 2001 Clin Pharmacokinet 411-437
18. Zanitti, L.; Ferretti, R.; Gallinella B.; Torre F.L.; Sanna M.L.; Mosca A.; Cirilli R J: Pharm.Biomed. Anal. 2010; 52: 665-671.
19. Magesh A R, Vijayalakshmi R, Satyavati D, Sravanthi Devi G, Dhanaraju M D. Validated spectrophotometric estimation of esomeprazole using hydrotrophic solubilisation technique. Orie J Chem. 2010; 26(3):1191-3. Jan 2008128-159 2010; 26:1191–3. [Google Scholar]
20. Sjostrand S E, Olbe L. fellenius E. Milestones. In: Parnham MJ. Brunivels J, Editors. Milestones in drug Therapy proton: Pump inhibitors. Switzerland: Birkhauser Verlag:1999.
21. Subhash Chandra Bose, Kotte, P. K. Dubey and P. M. Murali Core Component of analytical method validation for small molecules: an overview. Int. Res. J. Pharm 2012; 3 (5): 1-11
22. L R Snyder, J J Kirkland and J L Glajch (Eds) Practical HPLC Method Development. Wiley Inter science, New York, 1988, P. g. 402-348.
23. S Ahuja and S Scypinski (Eds) Handbook of modern pharmaceutical analysis press, New York, 2001. P. g. no. 415 - 443
24. Golan DE, Tashjian AH, Armstrong EJ, Armstrong AW. Principles of Pharmacology: The Pathophysiologic basis of drugs Therapy. 2nd Edition. Philadelphia, Penn: Wolters Kluwer / Lippincoot Williams and Wilkins; 2008 p. 795
25. Leaflet of marketed product: Esomeprazole for Injection 40 mg. Brand Name: Esoz Inj.