Objective: The day by day new combinations drugs are being introduced in market. Then the multiple therapeutic agents which acts at different sites are used in the management of various diseases and disorders are done. Thus it is necessary to develop methods for analysis with the help of number of analytical techniques which are available for the estimation of the drugs in combinations. An accurate, precise and reproducible RP-HPLC method was developed for the simultaneous quantitative determination of Metformin Hydrochloride (MET) and Alogliptin (ALO) in tablet dosage forms. Methods: Younglin (S. K.) gradient system UV detector and C18 column with 250 mm x 4.6 mm i. d. and 5µm particle size Acetonitrile: OPA water (80: 20v/v) pH 2.5 was used as the mobile phase for the method. The detection wavelength was 283 nm and flow rate was 0.9ml/min. Results: In the developed method, the retention time of MET and ALO were found to be 6.366 min and 8.616 min. The developed method was validated according to the ICH guidelines. Conclusion: In this methods linearity, precision, range, robustness were observed. The method was found to be simple, accurate, precise, economic and reproducible. So the proposed methods can be used for the routine quality control analysis of MET and ALO in bulk drug as well as in formulations.
Cite this article:
Kapil Rana, Pushpendra Sharma. Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin Hydrochloride and Alogliptin by RP-HPLC in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):111-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00017
Kapil Rana, Pushpendra Sharma. Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin Hydrochloride and Alogliptin by RP-HPLC in Bulk and Tablet Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(2):111-8. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00017 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-8
1. Afdhal N, Reddy KK, Nelson DR, Lawitz E, Gordon SC, Schiff E, et al., 2014. Investigators, Alogliptin and Metformin Hydrochloride for previously treated HCV genotype1 infection, N. Engl. J. Med. 370:1483.
2. Ariaudo A, Favata F, De Nicolò A, Simiele M, Paglietti L, et al. 2016. A UHPLC-MS/MS method for the quantification of direct antiviral agents simeprevir, daclatasvir, Alogliptin, Metformin Hydrochloride/GS-331007, dasabuvir, ombitasvir and paritaprevir, together with ritonavir, in human plasma. J Pharm Biomed Anal 125: 369-375.
3. Bakht Zaman, Faisal Siddique., Waseem Hassan, 2016. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Metformin Hydrochloride and Alogliptin in tablet dosage form and its application to in vitro dissolution studies. Chromatographia.79(23), pp.1605–1613.
4. Bruno S, Crosignani A, Facciotto C, Rossi S, Roffi L, Redaelli A, et al., 2010. Sustained virologic response prevents the development of esophageal varices in compensated, Child-Pugh class A hepatitis C virus-induced cirrhosis. A 12-year prospective follow-up study, Hepatology. 51: 2069.
5. European Medicines Agency, 2014. Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) EMA/702742/2014.
6. European Pharmacopeia, 2014.
7. FDA, 1996. Guidance for Industry: ICH E6 Good Clinical Practice. US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research and Centre for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
8. FDA, 2001. Guidance for Industry, Bioanalytical method validation. US Department of health and human services, food and drug administration centre for drug evaluation and research and centre for veterinary medicine.
9. Gilead Files for U.S., 2014. Approval of Alogliptin/Metformin Hydrochloride fixed dose combination tablet for genotype 1 Hepatitis C. Gilead Sciences.
10. Harona, M., Avulaa, B., Shia, Q., Lia, X., Ashfaqa, M., Baea, J., Guanc, S., Hincheec, M, Khan, I., Khan, S., 2019. Quantitative determination and pharmacokinetic study of fusaricidin A in mice plasma and tissues using ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 170, 187–192.
11. Harvoni, 2014. Tablets for oral use. US Prescribing Information Gilead Sciences, Inc. Foster City, USA.
12. Harvoni, 2016. Alogliptin/Metformin Hydrochloride tablets product monograph. Gilead Sciences Inc. Foster City, CA 94404 USA, Date of Preparation.
13. Hassan, J., Bahrani, S., 2014. Determination of atorvastatin in human serum by salting out assisted solvent extraction and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography-UV detection. Arab. J. Chem. 7 (1), 87–90.
14. ICH Guidance on analytical method validation, International Convention on Quality for the Pharmaceutical Industry: Toronto, Canada, 2002.
15. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, 2005. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1). International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, Geneva, pp. 1–13.
16. ICH, 1996. The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products. ICH Topic Q2B Note for Guideli.ne on Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology. GPMP/ICH/281/95.
17. ICH, 2003. ICH Q1 A (R2) Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products. International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva.
18. ICH, 2005. Technical requirements for the registration of pharmaceutical for human use; validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1); IFPMA: Geneva, Switzerland, November, 2005, pp. 1–13.
19. J Devilal, B Durgaprasad, Narottam Pal, A Srinivasa Rao., 2016. New method development and validation for the determination of Alogliptin in bulk drug form by using reverse phase HPLC technique. World Journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical Sciences 5(8), 1312-1321.
20. Joseph E Rower, Leah C Jimmerson, Xinhui Chen, Jia-Hua Zheng, Ariel Hodara, et al., 2015. Validation and application of an LC-MS/MS method to determine the concentrations of Metformin Hydrochloride. Antimicrobial agents and Chemotherapy., 59(12), 7671-7679.
21. Keating GM., 2014. Metformin Hydrochloride: a review of its use in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Drugs 74(10), 1127-1146.
22. Kirby BJ, Symonds WT, Kearney BP, Mathias AA., 2015. Pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and drug-interaction profile of the hepatitis C Virus NS5B polymerase inhibitor Metformin Hydrochloride. Clin Pharmacokinet., 54(7), 677-690.
23. Nebsen M, Elzanfaly ES., 2016. Stability-indicating method and LC-MS-MS characterization of forced degradation products of Metformin Hydrochloride. J Chromatogr Sci., 54(9), 17 1631–1640.
24. Pan C, Chen Y, Chen W, Zhou G, Jin L, et al., 2016. Simultaneous determination of Alogliptin, Metformin Hydrochloride and its metabolite in rat plasma by UPLC-MS/MS and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatography Bioanalytical Technol Biomed Life Sci., 1008, 255-259.
25. Ranjana S, Nitin S, Ganesh T, Gholve SB., 2016. Development and validation of simple UV Spectrophotometric method for the determination of Alogliptin in bulk form and stress degradation studies. Inventi Rapid: Pharm Analysis and Quality Assurance., 3, 1-5.
26. Ravikumar Vejendla, CVS Subramanyam, G Veerabhadram., 2016. Estimation and validation of Metformin Hydrochloride in bulk and tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. International Journal of Pharmacy, 6(2), 121-127.
27. Rezk M.R., Bendas E.R, Basalious E.B., Karim I.A., 2016.Quantification of Metformin Hydrochloride and Alogliptin in human plasma by UPLC-MS/MS method: Application to fasting and fed bioequivalence studies. J Chromatography Bioanalytical Technol Biomedical Life Sciences., 1028, 63-70.
28. Rezk MR, Basalious EB, Amin ME., 2016. Novel and sensitive UPLC-MS/MS method for quantification of Metformin Hydrochloride in human plasma: application to a bioequivalence study. Biomed Chromatogr., 30, 1354-1362.
29. Rezk MR, Basalious EB, Karim IA., 2015. Development of a sensitive UPLC-ESI-MS/MS method for quantification of Metformin Hydrochloride and its metabolite, GS-331007, in human plasma: application to a bioequivalence study. J Pharm Biomed Anal., 114, 97-104.
30. Rezk MR, Bendas ER, Basalious EB, Karim IA., 2016, Development and validation of sensitive and rapid UPLC-MS/MS method for quantitative determination of daclatasvir in human plasma: Application to a bioequivalence study. J Pharm Biomed Anal., 128, 61-6.
31. Rezk MR, Bendas ER, Basalious EB, Karim IA., 2016. Quantification of Metformin Hydrochloride and Alogliptin in human plasma by UPLC-MS/MS method: Application to fasting and fed bioequivalence study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci., 1028, 63-70.
32. Shi X, Zhu D, Lou J, Zhu B, Hu AR, et al., 2015. Evaluation of a rapid method for the simultaneous quantification of ribavirin, Metformin Hydrochloride and its metabolite in rat plasma by UPLC-MS/MS. J Chromatography Bioanalytical Technol Biomed Life Sci., 1002, 353-357.
33. Smith, G., 2012. European Medicines Agency guideline on bioanalytical method validation: what more is there to say? Bioanalysis 4 (8), 865–868.
34. Swain D, Samanthula G, Bhagat S, Bharatam PV, Akula V, et al., 2016. Characterization of forced degradation products and in silico toxicity prediction of Metformin Hydrochloride: a novel HCV NS5B polymerase inhibitor. J Pharm Biomed Anal., 120, 352-363.
35. The United States Pharmacopoeia, 2015. Convention Inc. 38th Revision (2015).
36. US DHHS, FDA, CDER, CVM, 2001. Guidance for Industry: Bioanalytical Method Validation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), Rockville, M D, USA.
37. US DHHS, FDA, CDER, CVM, Guidance for Industry: Bioanalytical Method Validation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), Rockville, M D, USA, 2013.
38. Veldt BJ, Heathcote EJ, Wedemeyer H, Reichen J, Hofmann WP, Zeuzem S, et al., 2007. M.P. Sustained virologic response and clinical outcomes in patients with chronic hepatitis C andadvanced fibrosis. Ann. Intern. Med., 147, 677.
39. Vikas PM, Satyanarayana T, Kumar DV, Mounika E, Sri LM, Sathish Y., 2016. Development and validation of new RP-HPLC method for the determination of Metformin Hydrochloride in pure form. World Journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical Sciences, 5(5), 775-781.
40. Vivian NG and Sammy Saab., 2011. Effects of a sustained virologic response on outcomes of patients with chronic hepatitis C. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 9, 923–930.