Rutuja S Nalkar, Suhas S Siddheshwar, Mahesh H Kolhe
Rutuja S Nalkar*, Suhas S Siddheshwar, Mahesh H Kolhe
Department of Quality Assurance Techniques, Pravara Rural College of Pharmacy, Pravaranagar, Tal: Rahata, Dist: Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India, 413736.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant drug used in the treatment of epilepsy & bipolar disorder/major affective disorder (manic depression). Lamotrigine is and antiepileptic drug of phenyltriazine class. For epilepsy it is used to treat the partial seizures, primary and secondary tonic-clonic seizures, and seizures associated with the Lennox-Gastuat syndrome and are chemically unrelated to the other anticonvulsants. Lamotrigine is a phenyltriazine that has comparatively few side-effects and it does not requires blood monitoring/observance in monotherapy. It additionally acts as a mood stabilizer. Common side-effects of lamotrigine include, nausea, sleepiness, headache, vomiting, trouble/bother with co-ordination and rash. Serious side-effects include in, lack of red blood cells, accumulated in risk of suicide, Stevens-Johnson syndrome and allergy. It issues that use of lamotrigine throughout pregnancy or breastfeeding it’s going to lead/result in harm/damage.
Cite this article:
Rutuja S Nalkar, Suhas S Siddheshwar, Mahesh H Kolhe. A Review on Analytical Method for Determination of Lamotrigine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(3):229-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00036
Rutuja S Nalkar, Suhas S Siddheshwar, Mahesh H Kolhe. A Review on Analytical Method for Determination of Lamotrigine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2021; 13(3):229-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2021.00036 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-3-12
1. Gurudeep Chatwal, G.R. Anand, Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis, ed-5th, Himalaya Publishing House, New Delhi., PP.2.624-2.629, 2007.
2. Skoog D.A. Holler, F.G. Nieman., Principles of Instrumental Analysis, ed-5th, Thomson Brooks/Cole Asia Pvt. Ltd., Singapore, PP.4-7, 2004.
3. Indian Pharmacopoiea 2007, Govt. of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Delhi, Indian Pharmacopoeial Commission, Ghaziabad, 2007.
4. USP 32 NF 27, United States Pharmacopoeia, The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Rockville, MD, 2009.
5. Sweetman S C Martindale, The Complete Drug Reference. 34th Ed. London, Pharmaceutical Press, 2005.
6. Satinder Ahuja, Dong MW. Hand book of pharmaceutical analysis by HPLC. Vol. 6.
7. Elsevier Inc. USA. 2005. 56. Sethi PD. High performance liquid chromatography. CBS Publications and Distributers.
8. New Delhi. 2006. 57. Swartz ME, Krull IS. Analytical method development and validation. Marcel Dekker. New
9. York. 1997. 58. Riley CM and Rosanske TW. Development and validation of analytical methods. Elsevier.
10. Ankit Patel, Mahesh Kumar Kataria. “RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation of Lamotrigine in Tablet Dosage Form”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Pharmaceutical & Bio Sciences, 2012; Vol.2 (2):95-102.
11. Tuba Incecayir, Ilbeyi Agabeyoglu, Validated High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for The Determination of Lamotrigine in Human Plasma and Saliva, Turk J. Pharm. Sci. 7 (3), 213-224, 2010.
12. Shaikh Javed Shaikh Afzal*1, Anis Ahmed2 and Pathan Mohd Arif Ali Khan2 to Validate Stability Indicating High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for Simultaneous Determination of Assay of Levofloxacin and Cefpodoxime Drugs in The Pharmaceuticals Tablet Formulations Using Lamotrigine as A Common Internal Standard. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research 2018,5(1), 340-348.
13. Krishna R. Gupta, Ashok R. Gautam, Anvesha V. Ganorkar and Milind J. Umekar Solubility Enhancement and Pharmacokinetic Assessment of Chemically Modified Lamotrigine in Rat Blood Plasma by HPLC Asian Journal of Applied Chemistry Research 4(1): 1-16, 2019; Article no. AJACR.51697 ISSN: 2582-0273
14. D. Anantha Kumar, Ch. Venkata Kumar, P. Seetharamaiah and J.V.L.N. Seshagiri Rao Estimation of Lamotrigine by RP-HPLC Method, E-Journal of Chemistry, ISSN: 0973-4945; CODEN ECJHAO E-Journal of Chemistry http://www.e-journals.net 2010, 7(S1), S203-S208
15. T. Vijaya Bhaskara Reddy, G. Ramu, A. Biksham Babu, and C. Rambabu Development and Validation of HLPC Method for the Estimation of Lamotrigine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Chemistry Volume 2013, Article ID 846170, 4 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/846170
16. Namratha A., Channabasavaraj K. P. And Madhusudana D. N., Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Lamotrigine and Clozapine, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 8, Issue 7, 916-926
17. Sonia T Hassib, Hanaa M A Hashem, Marianne A Mahrouse, Eman A Mostafa, A Validated Reversed-Phase High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Method for Simultaneous Determination Of Five Antiepileptic Drugs Used in The Treatment of Lennox–Gastaut Syndrome In Their Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, Asian Journal Of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, Vol 11, Issue 5, 2018
18. Vidya Sagar. K, Prsanth Naidu. Y, Suresh. S, Anusha. Ch, Somnath De and Aneela. S, A new simultaneous RP-HPLC method for development and validation of Lamotrigine tablets, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2011, 3(3):651-658
19. Dr M. Paul Richard Dr Kiran Kumar1 P. Govardhan Reddy1 P. Uma Mahesh, Development And Validation of A RP-HPLC Method For Estimation Of Lamotrigine In A Tablet Dosage Form, International Journal of Pharmacy, 2017; 7(3): 132-137 Issn 2249-1848
20. G. Ramu, A. Biksham Babu, and C. Rambabu, Development and Validation of HLPC Method for the Estimation of Lamotrigine in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations, Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Chemistry Volume 2013
21. M. Mathrusri Annapurna, Sharmistha Mohapatra and B.V. V. Ravi Kumar, Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the determination of lamotrigine and its degradation products in tablets, J Pharm Educ Res Vol. 1, Issue No. 2, December 2010
22. Development and Validation of Lamotrigine by High Performance Liquid Chromatography, International Journal for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars (IJPRS), V-3, I-3, 2014 ISSN No: 2277-7873
23. Pavan Kumar Puvvada, Vedi Gounder Murugan, S. Vimal Kumar and Pavan Kumar Padarthi, RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation of Lamotrigine, Scholars Research Library Der Pharma Chemica, 2010, 2(1): 104-108
24. Siyao Jin, Qing Zhao1,2†, Dongjie Zhang, Zhigang Zhao2, and Shenghui Mei, Development and validation of an improved HPLC-UV method for simultaneous determination of lamotrigine and oxcarbazepine and its active metabolite 10,11-dihydro-10- hydroxycarbazepine in human blood plasma and comparison with an UHPLCMS/MS method, Journal of Analytical Science and Technology, (2019) 10:36.
25. Kealey D, Haines PJ. Analytical chemistry. BIOS Scientific Publishers Limited. UK. 2002. 32. David Watson G. Pharmaceutical analysis. Harcourt Publishers Ltd. UK. 2000.
26. Kenneth Connors A. A text book of pharmaceutical analysis. 3 rd Edn. John Wiley and Sons. New Delhi. 1999.
27. Kamboj PC. Pharmaceutical analysis. 1st Edn. Vol I. Vallabh Publications. New Delhi. 2003.
28. John Kennedy H. Analytical chemistry principles. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. London. 1984.
29. David Harvey. Modern analytical chemistry. The McGraw-Hill Companies. Inc. USA. 2000.
30. Kasture AV, Mahadik KR, Wadodkar SG, More HN. Pharmaceutical analysis-Instrumental methods. 14th Edn. Vol II. Nirali Prakasan. Pune. 2006.
31. Skoog DA, James Holler F and Crouch SR. Instrumental analysis. 5th Edn. Cengage Learning India Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. 2010.
32. Christian GD, Reilly JE. Instrumental analysis. Allyn and Bacon. Inc. USA. 1945.
33. Vidhya Sagar G. Text book of pharmaceutical analysis. Kalyani Publishers. New Delhi. 2005.
34. Higuchi T, Brochmann E, Hanssen H. Pharmaceutical analysis. CBS Publishers and Distributers. New Delhi. 2005.
35. Clayden Greeves, Warren and Wothers. Organic chemistry. Oxford University Press. Inc. New York. 2009.
36. Geissman TA. Principles of organic chemistry. Freeman and Company. USA. 1977.
37. Solomons, Fryhle. Organic Chemistry. 8th Edn. John Wiley and Sons Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. 2004.
38. H.D. Revanasiddappa, H.N. Deepakumari and S.M. Mallegowda, Development and Validation of Indirect Spectrophotometric Methods for Lamotrigine in Pure and The Tablet Dosage Forms, Analele Universităţii Din Bucureşti–Chimie (Serie Nouă), Vol 20 No. 1, Pag. 49 –55
39. Navdeep Saini and Koyal Saini, Quantitative determination of lamotrigine in bulk and dosage form by UV Spectrophotometry, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 01 (03); 2011: 113-116
40. Nadia Fayek YOUSSEF* and Elham Anwer TAHA, Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric, TLC and HPLC Methods for the Determination of Lamotrigine in Presence of Its Impurity, National Organization for Drug Control and Research “NODCAR”, Chem. Pharm. Bull. 55(4) 541-545 (2007)
41. Sultana N, Saeed Arayne M, Ali SN Spectrophotometric Studies of Lamotrigine Charge Transfer Complexes: Synthesis and Characterization. Pharm Anal Acta 4: 260. doi:10.4172/2153-2435.1000260
42. Fadhil M. Najib, Muhammad S. Mustafa, Four Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Determination of Carbamazepine and Lamotrigine in Binary Mixtures and Urine Samples, The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, Vol 18 No 3 (2014): 491 – 506
43. Kanakapura Basavaiah Vinay, Hosakere Doddarevanna Revanasiddappa and Nagaraju Rajendraprasad, Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Methods for The Sensitive and Selective Determination of Lamotrigine in Pharmaceuticals Using Bromocresol Purple, Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, Vol. 17, No. 6, 2009, Pages 424-433
44. R.S. Chandan, M. Vasudevan, Deecaraman, B.M. Gurupadayya and M. Indupriya2, Spectrophotometric determination of lamotrigine using Gibb’s and MBTH reagent in pharmaceutical dosage form, Journal of Pharmacy Research 2011,4(6),1813-1815
45. Fadhil M. Najib, Kosar H. H. Aziz, Spectrophotometric Determination of Lamotrigine in Pharmaceutical Preparations and Urine Samples Using Bromothymol Blue and Bromophenol Blue, The Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, Vol 17 No 2 (2013): 310 – 325
46. Ali J., Khar RK., Ahuja A. Dosage form and design.3rd ed. Delhi. Birla Publications Pvt. Ltd (2008) 100-123
47. Sanjay Bajaj, Dinesh Singla and Neha Sakhuja, Stability Testing of Pharmaceutical Products, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 02 (03); 2012: 129-138
48. Rashid Ahmad, Pushpendra Soni, Lavakesh Kumar Omray Development and Validation of A Stability Indicating RPHPLC Assay Method For Determination Of Lamotrigine In Tablet Formulation Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Vol-7, Issue-4, October-December 2018 Issn:2278 7496
49. Vijay R. Rama, Govind J. Kherb, Kapil L. Dubalb, Gaurang P. Pandyab and Hitendra S. Joshib, Development and validation of a stability indicating HPLC assay method for determination of Lamotrigine in tablet formulation, Pelagia Research Library der Chemica Sinica, 2011, 2 (2): 58-65
50. K. B. Vinay, H. D. Revanasiddappa, M. X. Cijo1, P. J. Ramesh, N. Swamy, N. Rajendraprasad, Stability Indicating Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatographic Assay of Lamotrigine in Pharmaceuticals, Trakia Journal of Sciences, No 1, Pp 1-11, 2015
51. T. Vijaya Bhaskara Reddy, N. Sowjanya Reddy, Ruby Mishra, G. Ramu C. Rambabu, Stability Indicating Reversed Phase UPLC Method For The Assay of Lamotrigine In Tablet Dosage Forms, Journal Of Global Trends In Pharmaceutical Sciences Volume-4, Issue-4, Pp-1346-1355, October-December 2013