Varsha N. Tambe, Priyanka S. Jadhav, Avinash N. Tambe
Varsha N. Tambe1*, Priyanka S. Jadhav1, Avinash N. Tambe2
1Department of Quality Assurance Technique, MGV’s Pharmacy College, Panchavati, Nashik, Maharashtra.
2Department of Chemistry, Padmashri Dr. Vitthalrao Vikhe Patil College of Art, Science and Commerce, Pravaranagar.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The terahertz region of the electromagnetic spectrum spans the frequency range between the mid-infrared (IR) and the millimeter/microwave. THz spectroscopy or imaging can be utilized for improving quality and uniformity of pharmaceutical products, such as identifying polymorphic forms, measuring tablet coating thickness, and 3D chemical mapping. These properties contribute greatly to drug dissolution and bioavailability. This review outlines some of the recent pharmaceutical applications of terahertz spectroscopy and imaging.
The following application areas are highlighted:
1. Discrimination and quantification of polymorphs/hydrates,
2. Analysis of solid form transformation dynamics,
3. Quantitative characterization of tablet coatings: off-line and on-line,
4. Tablet coating and dissolution,
5. Spectroscopic imaging and chemical mapping.
This review does not attempt to offer an exhaustive assessment of all anticipated pharmaceutical applications; rather it is an attempt to raise the awareness of the emerging opportunities and usefulness offered by this exciting technology.
Cite this article:
Varsha N. Tambe, Priyanka S. Jadhav, Avinash N. Tambe. Terahertz pulse imaging Spectroscopy and Pharmaceutical Applications-A Review. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):317-322. doi: 10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00047.9
1. Latika M. Ingle ,2013, Terahertz spectroscopy for pharmaceutical applications, International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research, ISSN: 2249-0337.
2. Yao-Chun Shen,2010, Terahertz pulsed spectroscopy and imaging for pharmaceutical applications: A review; International Journal of Pharmaceutics 417 (2011) 48–60.
3. Allis, D.G., Prokhorova, D.A., Korter, T.M., 2006. Solid-state modeling of the terahertz spectrum of the high explosive HMX. J. Phys. Chem. A 110, 1951– 1959.
4. Ho, L., Mueller, R., Krueger, C., Gordon, K.C., Kleinebudde, P., Pepper, M., Rades, T., Shen, Y., Taday, P.F., Zeitler, J.A., 2010. Investigating dissolution performance critical areas on coated tablets: a case study using terahertz pulsed imaging. J. Pharm. Sci. 99, 392–402.
5. Cogdill, R.P., Forcht, R.N., Shen, Y.C., Taday, P.F., Creekmore, J.R., Anderson, C. A., Drennen III, J.K., 2007. Comparison of terahertz pulse imaging and near-infrared spectroscopy for rapid non-destructive analysis of tablet coating thickness and uniformity. J. Pharm. Innov. 2, 29–36
7. Ikeda, Y., Ishihara, Y., Moriwaki, T., Kato, E., Terada, K., 2010. A novel analytical method for pharmaceutical polymorphs by terahertz spectroscopy and the optimization of crystal form at the discovery stage. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 58, 76–81.
8. M. C. Beard and M. G. Turner and C. A. Schmuttenmaer, "Terahertz Spectroscopy", in Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 106, pp 7146-7159, 2002.
9. J. A. Zeitler and P. F. Taday and D. A. Newnham and M. Pepper and K. C. Gordon and T. Rades, "Terahertz pulsed spectroscopy and imaging in the pharmaceutical setting- a review", in Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 59, pp. 209-223,2007.
10. J. Fitzgerald and B. E. Cole and P. F. Taday, "Nondestructive analysis of tablet coating thickness using terahertz pulsed imaging", in J. Pharm. Sci., vol. 94, pp.177-183, 2005.