This plant commonly referred to as "Black nightshade," Solanum nigrum Linn. (Solanaceae) it is widely used in traditional medicine in India and other parts of the world to treat liver conditions, chronic skin conditions (such as psoriasis and ringworm), inflammatory conditions, painful periods, fevers, diarrhoea, eye diseases, hydrophobia, etc. It has been discovered that Solanum nigrum contains compounds with anti-tumor action, such as total alkaloids, steroid alkaloids, steroidal saponins, and glycoprotein. The herb is utilised as a hepatoprotective in Indian traditional medicine. This plant have potential role as a multipurpose medicinal agent, we have investigated the phyto-pharmacological properties of the plant and compiled its comprehensive pharmacological uses in this review paper.
Cite this article:
Vikas D. Mahajan, Habeeba S. Shaikh. Solanum nigram - A Potential Medicinal Herb. Research Journal of Science and Technology 2023; 15(1):24-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2023.00006
Vikas D. Mahajan, Habeeba S. Shaikh. Solanum nigram - A Potential Medicinal Herb. Research Journal of Science and Technology 2023; 15(1):24-4. doi: 10.52711/2349-2988.2023.00006 Available on: https://rjstonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-1-6
1. Li J, Li Q, Feng T. Antitumour activity of crude polysaccharides isolated from Solanum nigrum on U-14 cervical carcinoma bearing mice Phytother Res. 2007; 8-5
2. Yerukali Sudha Rani, V. Jayasankar Reddy, Shaik Jilani Basha, Mallapu Koshma, G. Hanumanthu and P. Swaroopa World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 6, Issue 12, 293-303.
3. https://indiabiodiversity.org/species/show/32754 Google search
4. Muto M, Mulabagal V, Huang HC, Takahashi H, Tsay HS. Huang JW. Japan toxicity of black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) extracts on Alternaria brassicicola, causal agent of black leaf spot of Chinese cabbage (Brassica pekinensis). Department of International Agricultural Development, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Sakuragaoka, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo.
5. K. Jani Dilip, K. Saroja, A.R.V. Murthy. Pharmacognostic study of kakamachi (Solanum nigrum linn): Journal of pharmaceutical and scientific innovation 2012; 1(4):4
6. K. Jani Dilip, K.Saroja, A.R.V. Murthy. Pharmacognostic study of kakamachi (Solanum nigrum linn):Journal of pharmaceutical and scientific innovation, 2012; 1(4): 3
7. L. An, J.T. Tang, X.M. Liu and N.N. Gao. Review about mechanisms of anti-cancer of Solanum nigrum. China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica. 31:1225–1226 (2006).
8. Y.B. Ji, S.Y. Gao, C.F. Ji and X. Zou. Induction of apoptosis in HepG2 cells by solanine and Bcl-2 protein. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 115: 194–202 (2008).
9. X. Zhou, X. He, G. Wang, H. Gao, G. Zhou, W. Ye and X. Yao. Steroidal saponins from Solanum nigrum. Journal of Natural Products. 69: 1158–1163 (2006).
10. K.S. Heo, S.J. Lee, J.H. Ko, K. Lim and K.T. Lim. Glycoprotein isolated from Solanum nigrum L. inhibits the DNA-binding activities of NF-κβ and AP-1, and increases the production of nitric oxide in TPA stimulated MCF-7 cells. Toxicology In Vitro. 18: 755–763 (2004).
11. W. Lina, H. Fang and C. Hsieha. Inhibitory effect of Solanum nigrum onthioacetamide-induced liver fibrosis in mice. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 119: 117–121 (2008).
12. P.B. Kirti, S.K. Jami, T.S. Anuradha and L. Guruprasad. Molecular, biochemical and structural characterization of osmotin-like protein from black nightshade (Solanum nigrum). Journal of Plant Physiology. 164: 238—252 (2007).
13. S.J. Lee and K.T. Lim. 150 kDa glycoprotein isolated from Solanum nigrum Linn. stimulates caspase-3 activation and reduces inducible nitric oxide production in HCT-116 cells. Toxicology in Vitro. 20: 1088–1097 (2006).
14. A. Elsadig, E.S. Alia, A. Anzari and G. James. Phytochemistry. 46(3): 489-494 (1997).
15. I.P. Varsheny, and S.C. Sharma. Phytochemistry. 4: 967-968 (1965).
16. S.C. Sharma, R. Chand, O.P. Sati and A.K. Sharma. Phytochemistry. 22(5): 1241-1244 (1983).
17. B.B.S. Kapoor, J.S. Khatri, Bhumika and P. Ranga. Journal of Phytological Research. 17(1): 111-112 (2004).
18. X. Zhou, X. He, G. Wang, H. Gao, G. Zhou, W. Ye and X. Yao. J Nat Prod. 69(8): 1158-63 (2006).
19. T. Ikeda, H. Tsumagari and T. Nohara. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 48(7): 1062-4 (2000).
20. R. Chen, L. Feng, H. Li, H. Zhang and F. Yang. Two novel oligosaccharides from Solanum nigrum. Carbohydrate Research. 344: 1775–1777 (2009).
21. J.R. Dhellot, E. Matouba, M.G. Maloumbi, J.M. Nzikou, M.G. Dzondo, M. Linder, M. Parmentier and S. Desobry. Extraction and nutritional properties of Solanum nigrum L seed oil. African Journal of Biotechnology. 5(10): 987-991 (2006)
22. Hoang Le Son and Phan Thi Hai Yen.Preliminary Phytochemical Screening, Acute Oral Toxicity and Anti convulsant Activity of the Barries of Solanum nigrum Linn: Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2014; 13(6): 4
23. FN. Razali, SK. Sinniah, H. Hussin, NZ. Abidin, AS. Shuib. Int. J. Biol. Macromolec, 2016; 92: 5.
24. Y-J. Lai, C-J. Tai, C-W. Wang, C-Y. Choong, B-H. Lee, Y-C. Shi, et al. Molecules, 2016; 21(5): 5.
25. SS. El-Hawary, R. Mohammed, SF. AbouZid, W. Bakeer, R. Ebel, AM. Sayed, et al. J Appl Microbiol, 2016; 5.
26. A. Rawani, A. Ghosh, S. Laskar, G. Chandra. Parasitol Res, 2014; 113(12): 5.
27. SK. Zaidi, MN. Hoda, S. Tabrez, SA. Ansari, MA. Jafri, M. Shahnawaz Khan, et al. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med, 2014; 6.
28. Y. Wan, S. Luo, J. Chen, X. Xiao, L. Chen, G. Zeng, et al. Chemosphere, 2012; 89(6): 6.
29. S. Nirmal, A. Patel, S. Bhawar, S. Pattan. J. Ethnopharmacol, 2012; 142(1): 6.
30. Jisha S, Sreeja S, Manjula S. Indian J Med Res, 2011; 134(3): 6.
31. MJR. Dawkins. Carbon tetrachloride poisoning in the liver of the new born rat. J Path Bact, 1963; 85: 6.
32. Chinthana, T. Ananthi. Protective effect of Solanum nigrum and Solanum trilobatum aqueous leaf extract on Lead induced neurotoxicity in Albino mice: Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2012; 4(1): 7.
33. I.E. Akubugwo, N.A. Obasi, G.C.Chinyere and A. Ugbogu. Mineral and phytochemical contents in leaves of Amaranthus hybridus L and Solanum nigrum L. subjected to different processing methods: African Journal of Biochemistry Research, 2018; 2(2): 7.
34. Chinthana, T. Ananthi. Protective effect of Solanum nigrum and Solanum trilobatum aqueous leaf extract on Lead induced neurotoxicity in Albino mice: Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2012; 4(1): 7
35. MA. Hanifa. Evaluation of Immunostimulant Potential of Solanum nigrum using fish, Etroplus suratensis challenged with Aphanomyces: International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 2011; 2(1): 7.
36. G.B. Kavishankar, N. Lakshmidevi, MS. Mahadeva. Phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial properties of selected medicinal plants against bacteria associated with diabetic patients: International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 2011; 2(4): 8.
37. M. Jainu, CSS. Devi. Antioxidant effect of methanolic extracts of Solanum nigrum berries on aspirin induced gastric mucosal injury: Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, 2004; 19(1): 8.
38. N.Bhatia, PP. Maiti, A. Kumar, A. Tuli, T. Ara, MU. Khan. Evaluation of cardioprotective Activity of Methanolic Extract Of Solanum nigrum Linn. in Rats: International Journal of Drug Development and Research, 2011; 3(3): 8.
39. D. Kaushik, V. Jogpal, P. Kaushik, S. Lal, A. Saneja, C. Sharma, KR. Aneja. Evaluation of activities of Solanum nigrum fruit extract: Archives of Applied Science Research, 2009; 1(1): 8.
40. N. Bhatia, PP. Maiti, A. Kumar, A. Tuli, T. Ara, MU. Khan. Evaluation of cardio protective Activity of Methanolic Extract of Solanum nigrum Linn. in Rats: International Journal of Drug Development and Research, 2011; 3(3): 8.
41. N. Bhatia, PP. Maiti, A. Kumar, A. Tuli, T. Ara, MU. Khan. Evaluation of cardio protective Activity of Methanolic Extract of Solanum nigrum Linn. in Rats: International Journal of Drug Development and Research, 2011; 3(3): 9.
42. G. Arunachalam, N. Subramanian, GP. Pazhani, M. Karunanithi, V. Ravichandran. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of methanolic extract of Solanum nigrum (Solanaceae). Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Summer, 2009; 5(3): 9.
43. NW. Noel, AA. Joseph, OK. Helen, SG. Steven, A. Asa. Antiseizure activity of the aqueous leaf extract of Solanum nigrum linn (solanaceae) in experimental animals.: African Health Sciences, 2008; 8(2): 9
44. Javed T, UsmanAA, Sana R (2011) In-vitro antiviral activity of solanum nigrum against Hepatitis C Virus. Virology Journal 8: 26.
45. Hanna AG, Yassin FYS, Allam RI (1996) Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 37: 211-231.
46. Heo KS, Lim KT (2004) Antioxidative effects of glycoprotein isolated from Solanum nigrum L. Journal of Medicinal Food 7: 349-357.
47. Pandey G, Madhuri S (2008) Some anticancer agents from plantorigin. Pl Arch 8: 527-532.
48. Noel NW, Joseph AA, Helen OK (2008) Antiseizure activity of the aqueous leaf extract of Solanum nigrum Linn (solanaceae) in experimental animals. African Health Sciences 8: 74-79
49. Pari L, Maheswari J (1999) Hypoglycaemic effect of Musa sapientum L. in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacol. 68:321-325
50. Day C, Catwright T, Provost J, Bailey CJ (1990) Hypoglycaemic effect of Momordica charantia extracts. Planta Medica 56: 426-429.
51. Poongothai K, Ahmed KSZ, Ponmurugan P, Jayanthi M (2010) Assessment of antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic potential of Solanum nigrum and Musa paradisiaca in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Journal of Pharmacy Research 3: 2203-2205.
52. Sathya MST, Palaniswamy M (2011) Pharmacognostical and hypoglycemic activity of different parts of Solanum nigrum Linn plant. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 4: 0975-149.
53. Maddala R, Subbulakshmi G, Sandhya K (2013) Anti gastritic and antiulcerogenic effects of Solanum nigrum in laboratory animals. International Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences 2: 266-271.
54. Jainu M, Devi CSS (2004) Antioxidant effect of methanolic extracts of Solanum nigrum berries on aspirin induced gastric
55. Imran Ali, Waqar Ahmed, Muhammad Tariq, Rehana Asghar, Muhammad Altaf Hussain. Therapeutic potential of ethanolic extract of Solanum nigrum for lipofundin-induced hyperlipidemia in Rabbits, Pure and Applied Biology. 2016; 5(1):85-90.
56. Bhatia N, Maiti PP, Kumar A, Tuli A, Ara T, Khan MU. Evaluation of cardio protective Activity of Methanolic Extract of Solanum nigrum L. in Rats, International Journal of Drug Development and Research, 2011; 3(3):139147.
57. Javed T, Usman AA, Sana R, Sidra R, Sheikh R. In vitro antiviral activity of Solanum nigrum against Hepatitis C Virus. Virology Journal. 2011; 8:26.